Friday, June 08, 2007

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I had another interview this afternoon (well, about an hour ago) with McDonald's. This interview was really different than the first one, namely the interviewer. The last interviewer smiled the entire time, spoke French clearly and with a regular pace. The man interviewing me today, with his dour expression, staccato, direct speech, and determined walk, was entirely different. Middle management springs to mind. It wasn't that he didn't seem nice, he was just straight to the point. His French was a lot harder to understand, given he was quietly spoken with a stacatto voice, but I think I did well, and he said that my application interests him (this doesn't sound right, but it was "votre canditature m'interesse"). And so again that was cool that I had a second good interview in French. The interviewer reminded me of someone from my last emploi, Richard I think he was called, also a relatively young man, but incredibly serious.

But now to the decisions bit... He said that he won't know whether he'll be able to give me a job for another week at least, because a nearby McDonalds is closing for several months and this restaurant is absorbing most of its staff, which for a summer job is quite a long time to wait. So do I wait until I find out for sure, or do I go back to England? What if I stay and it turns out I haven't got a job? At the moment I'm thinking of phoning them some time next week telling them that I’ve bought my Eurostar ticket something’s happened back in England and I need to return, but I would love to be considered for a job for the rentrée.

And yes, it may seem a rubbish option, but McDonald's isn't actually that bad. Yes, I'm selling myself to a capitalist juggernaut with which, small, worthy businesses can't compete, but the benefits include: all uniform provided, free food on the premises, and most importantly, 50% reimbursement of transport costs. That means McDonald's would pay for half of my Carte Imagine-R. And if I stay in this area (i.e. St Mandé, Vincennes etc.) next year (although I definitely won't be staying in the same apartment), the local Préfecture has announced that it'll pay for half of students' transport costs as well. That means I'll get free public transport in Paris absolutely legally! (no comment Jennifer!)

So I need to make my decision, and pretty soon since Eurostar tickets are really expensive and the longer I leave it the more they cost. Any ideas people?

1 comment:

  1. "the local Préfecture has announced that it'll pay for half of students' transport costs as well. That means I'll get free public transport in Paris absolutely legally!"

    What's this all about..?

    :)

    ReplyDelete